4/27/16

Why am I a Christian?

Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins. You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil- the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live that way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. By our very nature we were subject to God's anger, just like everyone else.
But God is so rich in mercy, and he loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God's grace that you have been raised!) For he raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus. So God can point to us in all future ages as examples of the incredible wealth of his grace and kindness toward us, as shown in all he has done for us who are united with Christ Jesus. {Ephesians 2:1-7}

For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us a long time ago. {Ephesians 2:10}

Why am I a Christian?
This is something I hear daily in conversations around me. "Why are you a Christian?" "Why do you believe in God?" "How can you believe in someone you cannot see?".
I used to just  roll my eyes when I hear people ask these thing and say extremely judgmental things. 
But then my mom asked me one day, "why are you a Christian?". I looked at her shocked. Why would she ask me such a thing. She then said, "if I can tell you why I am a Christian and believe, then you should be able to, too."  I then thought, wow. I started actually thinking about my faith and my walk in God. I also started to put myself and judging aside and thought, ''what if the people asking why I believe what I believe, were just trying to get closer to God. Maybe they were lost. Maybe they seen that person allowing God to shine through them and wanted to know more''. 
I was born into Christianity. That's what was taught in my household, that's what I heard. There was only God and Jesus. God was who we worshiped and Jesus was the messiah. There was no worshiping of Mary and Jesus was not just a prophet. That's what I was born into. I never questioned it. I loved going to church and singing. Now my immediate family, my mom, siblings, and I, we were not strictly church all the time and fully dedicated. My mom didn't really take us to church unless my grandmother asked or it was something like Christmas, Easter, or sometimes New Years. We went to church ever now and then unlike my great grandmother who was a strong Christian and any chance she got us in church, she would. 
It wasn't til 5 or 6 years ago, my mom finally decided to be a fully dedicated Christian. I didn't complain. I liked going to church. I liked the church family and the other youth there. I loved the people and all, but I was just there. I was getting things here and there but I wasn't really into the actual church and God thing. I was just there because church was a place I felt comfortable, it was fun, and because I had no other choice. 
Even though I wasn't a strong-willed Christian, in middle school I was known as the church girl. The girl who didn't hang unless it was church, and went to church every Sunday, Wednesday and whenever my church had a program. I also thought I was holier than thou in 6 & 7th grade because I went to church and told I had a calling over my life. But I only prayed when I wanted to, I didn't read the word, I wasn't doing God's will and plans. Just going to church. When I finally turnt 13 in 8th grade, I had come to the conclusion I was know where near holier than thou. I had gave up my stuck up, know-it-all ways. I still stood my ground whenever the word was argued but I had kind of fell back. When I began to complain about church and all, my mom would ask, "why am I a Christian." I blew it off. I was like whatever, why are you dragging me to church.
 At the beginning of freshman year, I started slowly drifting away, I was hearing things others did and hearing just about things in general, I started swaying away from God. I was still a good girl, but I wasn't a godly girl. Big difference. I had allowed myself to get to lost and exposed to things. I started doing dumb things. (Read this article: When Good Girls Do Dumb Things). I was a mess. At church, my pastor and his wife, as well as my mom knew. I was drifting but there was still something in me that knew what was right. I had wanted so badly to experience the world and have a teen experience. I wanted to be rebellious. I told my mom basically I was tired of her trying to shove God down my throat. (Watch Confessions of Prodigal Son). I was a mess, way away from God. I went out and experience a taste of the teen experience, and I got burned. The situation could've been worst, but God has his ways. 
When I got fed up with the mess I was in, I decided I was going to come back to God. Only this time I was actually going to live for him. I was actually going to fulfill his plan for me. But I didn't know where to start. So I joined Young Life. It was amazing. It showed how teens can have fun in Christ and not be of the world while doing it. Then I went to Young Life bible studies. I started actually engaging in teachings at church. I started reading Girl Defined and Project Inspired. I was actually getting closer to God, instead of just going to church. I was actually hearing from God and getting a word. I realized what my purpose was in Christ and I was gaining a relationship. That's when just this Saturday that same question popped back in my head. "Why am I a Christian"?
Now when I am asked, I can have an answer better than because that's what I was taught to believe and because my mom is a Christian. I am a Christian because I have witnessed God's grace, mercy and love. I have seen His works and witnessed spiritual warfare. I am a Christian because God was the one who saved me from that situation that could've been 1000x worst than what it was. He granted me life again and he didn't take his hand off of me.  Like in the scripture in the beginning. I was living for the world and my desires, yet he still loved me and showed me grace & mercy. I've seen him work miracles and he's used people to get to me. I find peace and joy in him, and knowing that I'm granted eternal life is just amazing.  I'm also a Christian because there's no other amazing lifestyle. Young Life, summer camps, youth group, coffee + bible study, Hillsong & Bethel Music, and so much more.
Christianity has allowed me to see the bigger picture to life and give life a more powerful meaning to me. It has also allowed me to connect with people and just relate to each other on SO many different levels and finally be around people who understand me as a person, a Christian. I am a Christian, not because of my mom, sister, brother, or church. I am a Christian because I believe in God and his works and words, because it was shown to me in the hardest times in my life, and that has given me no other choice but to believe.
There you have, so the next time you're wondering why I choose Christ, here's why.  Now why did you choose Christ?
post signature 

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I was so active in my church I literally forgot what it means to be a Christian. My dad is the music minister so I always had to go around encouraging others. This is a really good post!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...