7/13/16

A Story Worth Telling: Mary Paul Hunt


Today on the blog I will be collaborating with a dear friend of mine, Mary. I met Mary after being invited to Young Life, and she is literally one of the sweetest people ever. After I discovered that she was a blogger and read her story, I had to collaborate with her. So here I present Mary Paul Hunt from Incomparable Glory.

- What has God been teaching you lately? 

Recently, the Lord has been teaching me to be present and seek His face in the mundane of everyday life. I leave in 15 days for Oregon (I've never been on a plane before- ah!) to serve on Young Life work crew at Washington Family Ranch Creekside, and I am so excited that I just want to rush through these next few weeks so that I can finally just be there. I realized that once I get back in August, I will only have 7 days left until my senior year begins, and I don't want to wish my summer away. The Lord has been tenderly whispering into my heart in the past week or so for me to be still and open my eyes to see all of the beauty that He has for me HERE and NOW, and I sure don't want to miss out on what He has for me. Nothing good ever comes out of thinking too much about the future, and Jesus put a lot of emphasis on seeking first the Kingdom of God, and then all of the things that we need (and worry about for the future) will be added to us and will fall into place as He knows whats best for us in His perfect timing. 


- Life Mantra? 

My life mantra is "even if not." It is taken from Daniel 3 in the Bible in the story where there men named Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego refused to bow down and worship a golden image, directly disobeying King Nebuchadnezzar's orders and as a result, they were going to be killed. They were given one more chance to live if they would bow down to the idol, but they responded by saying,  "King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty's hand. But EVEN IF HE DOES NOT we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up." (Daniel 3:16-18) Those three words have been so precious in my walk with the Lord because as I have experienced suffering and trials, I have learned (and I am still learning) how to sing this over my life - Even if He does not heal me of my post concussion syndrome, He is still good. This mantra has taught me that the goodness of God is not dependent on my circumstances, that His love for me in never changing throughout the rollercoaster of ups and downs that make up my life, and that my heart's desire must be for His will to be done above mine. Jesus Himself uses this mantra before His death (Luke 22:42) when He says, "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but Yours, be done."

- Favorite Verse? I don't necessarily have one favorite verse that far surpasses all others, but this is one of my favorites:

"For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us." Romans 8:15-18

- Style? 

I am honestly not intentional about having a certain style in the way that I dress. I love clothes that are cute, but modest, and definitely comfortable. My go-to outfit this time of year is my ripped jean shorts/ ripped jeans and a flowy tee with my birkenstocks (which are SO mind-blowingly comfortable). 

- What's one thing you want to be remembered for when you leave this world?

 All I want to be remembered for is for loving Jesus. I know that in a couple of years my name will quickly be forgotten, but if my legacy is Jesus, it will last forever. 

- Share your story!

I grew up in a Christian home with great parents and friends, and I really never experienced hard things, so life was good. My favorite thing in the entire world was playing soccer, and the majority of my time and energy was consumed by this sport until 2014.  When I was 5 years old I "accepted Jesus into my heart," but honestly, it was more of a formality because I just wanted to go up to the front of the church and then get to go downstairs for breakfast in the fellowship hall before everyone else. At the same time, I remember understanding that there was something horribly wrong with my heart called sin and that I was in desperate need of Jesus, the only one who could fix it. However, I lived my life from that point on no different that before, for the most part. In middle school and the beginning of high school, I would go through phases (particularly after youth conferences and such) where I was really seeking to follow Jesus and be a light for Him, but because my foundation was weak (I didn't really understand what it meant to follow Jesus and I preferred living for my own happiness anyhow), these phases were short-lived, and I would soon return to living just like everyone else. In October of 2014, I was playing soccer in Wilmington, North Carolina, and my coach had previously changed my position so that i could be more versatile to play in college (because I was confident that I would. That was my biggest dream since the time I could walk.) During that game, I went up to head the soccer ball with another girl, and as soon as my head hit the ball, her head hit mine. I fell to my knees and my world flipped upside down for the first time ever. Long story short, that injury sent me into a period, that I now refer to as my "winter", of the deepest and darkest depression, anxiety, loneliness, and pain that I have ever known. From that October until the following May/June, I furiously questioned God, who claimed to be good and a healer, who seemed to sit by and watch as my world fell apart. That following spring, I was in a state of such desperation that I was even willing to approach God once more and question if maybe He was using this for my good all along, and I began to ponder what it would look like to count this suffering as pure joy (James 1:2). As my relationship with Him grew and I spent more time seeking Him in His Word, I began to realize that suffering is such a sweet gift because Jesus Himself suffered and so my enduring it we can know Him better than ever. I also truly grasped that future glory for a follower of Jesus in eternity with Him far far FAR surpasses any of our present, light and momentary afflictions, and that is how my blog incomparable glory was born. By blogging and beginning to go out in public and interact with others again, I began to share my story and watch in awe and wonder of all that the Lord was doing in making so much beauty of the ashes of my life. While daily, I still have headaches and struggle with the sorrow of living with chronic pain, the joy that the Lord gives me is the strength that I have to endure. He is so good. 

Keep up with Mary on social media & her blog:
Instagram
Twitter
Incomparable Glory
have a story to share? email me, direct message me, or comment on an Instagram to be featured.
post signature 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...